General FAQs

Please review our list of frequently asked questions and if you need website technical support, email our web team at [email protected]


  • How do I find a Facility?

    There is an interactive Facility Search on this website, which can be found here: GDC Facility Search. To find a facility, begin typing the name of the facility in the search bar. You can search for a facility using:

    • the name of the facility
    • the type of population served at a certain facility
    • the address or zip code of a facility
    • the type of security at a certain facility.

    This search includes a detailed information sheet on state, private, and county prisons, Transitional Centers, Integrated Treatment Facilities, Residential Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities, Probation Detention Center, which can be obtained by clicking on the name of that facility in the search table.

    We do not currently provide information sheets for county jails. You will not see additional information for county jail search results.

    In addition, we also a comprehensive listing on our Facilities Operations page.

    For information on Probation/Community Supervision, please visit the Georgia Department of Community Supervision website.

  • Can I send money to an offender?

    Yes! We provide comprehensive information on how to send money to an offender and/or make probationer payments on our website.

  • Can I get an offender's status & the date of a transfer? How do I inquire about a loved one?

    Unfortunately, due to security concerns, the Georgia Department of Corrections does not provide the date of offender transfers. To inquire as to an offender's status, you may check the Offender Search here. If you need more information after searching our online database, please Contact Us.

  • How can I apply to become a Correctional Officer?

    Job postings for Correctional Officer vacancies are posted at Applications can be obtained at any GDC facility, the Georgia Department of Labor or at Call the GDC Employment Services Unit with any application questions.

    Check out GDC Jobs for the Vacancy Announcement and Application Form.


    GDC Employment Services / GDC Jobs

    To inquire about current employment opportunities at the Georgia Department of Corrections.

  • How do I find out one of the following?
    • An offender's state identification (or "EF") number?
    • An offender's crime?
    • An offender's tentative parole month?
    • Where an offender is incarcerated?

    This information can be obtained through our website under the Find an Offender search or directly from the offender.

  • Can I get an offender moved closer to me or farther away from my community?

    If you are attempting to have the offender moved closer to you, you should have the offender make the request to his / her counselor in the prison. If you are trying to have the offender moved farther away, you should contact the Office of Ombudsman and Inmate Affairs Office.

  • Does GDC coordinate prison tours for troubled youths?

    Yes. Tours are available for schools (colleges/universities included) and organizations. Persons younger than 14 years of age will not be admitted into any institution, unless they are in an alternative school, in school suspension or on probation. No person under 12 years of age will be admitted to any prison at any time. Tour requests should be submitted to the Commissioner's Office by submitting the Request to Arrange a Guided Prison Tour Form via our Contact Us form.

  • I heard about a new feature on your website, but I still see an old version of your page.

    Most browsers will save a snapshot of the sites that you visit in a temporary area of your hard drive to speed up access on subsequent visits. This can prevent you from viewing content that has recently been updated. To resolve this issue, clear all of the temporary files in your browser's cache. The procedure to do this will vary with different browsers. Check your browser's documentation to determine the proper means to perform this task. Some additional notes can be seen on our technical support page.

  • I can't seem to locate an offender using the query tool.

    Try using ONLY the first four letters of the last name and instruct the query to return records for ALL offenders, not just the active ones. Please note that we currently do not publish records of offenders that were convicted and completed their sentence under Georgia's First Offender act.

  • I can't get the GBI Sex Offender registry to load.

    The GBI Sex Offender site is not managed by the Georgia Department of Corrections. Please go to GBI's home page for assistance with this issue.

  • I can't get the photo of an offender to load.

    Many of the offender photos are either unavailable or have not been uploaded yet. We are adding new photos all the time, so check back occasionally to see if the photo you are looking for has been uploaded.

  • Why does the Find an Offender search keep sending me back to the disclaimer page?

    To use this application, you must enable cookies on your browser. Some sites use cookies for marketing purposes. We do not. We only use a cookie that helps our application operate correctly, and expires as soon as you close your browser.

  • GDC Contact Information (Technical/Web Site Information )

    Please email questions of a technical nature regarding the Georgia Department of Corrections website ONLY. Please direct any questions about website content, offender affairs, policy and procedure regarding this website or the Georgia Department of Corrections, and requests for general information to the address below. If you send non-technical questions to the webmaster, you will not receive a reply. The webmaster is not authorized to address issues of a non-technical nature.