- CONSTRUCTED: 1988/1956
- CAPACITY: 1312
- OPENED: 1989/1959
- SECURITY LEVEL: CLOSE
- RENOVATED: 1989
VISITATION DAYS / HOURS:
- Days: Saturdays, Sundays, and State Holidays
- Hours: 9:00AM - 3:00PM
Tier Visitation Hours (scheduled 24 hours prior by visitor):
- Days: Mondays and Wednesdays, excluding State Holidays
- Hours: 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM
To protect the public by maintaining custody of close security offenders while providing academic and vocational education, mental health and mental retardation services and specialized evidence-based counseling programs. The Annex protects the public by maintaining custody of medium and minimum security offenders while providing outside work details to the community. The Georgia Correctional Industries chemical plant, located on the grounds of the Annex, manufactures cleaning supplies for prisons throughout the Department. This is a Tier I & II facility.
Valdosta State Prison consists of 10 General Population units with 500 beds, six Mental Health units with 264 beds, 25 Isolation beds plus 12 Acute Care Unit beds and four Crisis Stabilization Unit beds. The Annex contains 554 General Population beds. Of those beds, 100 are designated as Residential Substance Abuse Center beds. This facility also houses a Special Management Unit (SMU), a C.E.R.T. Team, Tactical Squad and a Canine Unit.
- OPEN DORMITORY
- SINGLE CELLS
- RESIDENTIAL SUBSTANCE ABUSE PROGRAM
Valdosta State Prison and Annex inside details: Orderlies, Grounds Maintenance, Horticulture, Laundry, Food Service, Trash, Aides, Barbers and Maintenance. The Annex provides the following outside details: Correctional Industries, Department of Transportation, City of Valdosta, (1 detail), Lowndes County (3 details), Valdosta State Prison (2 details), Department of Transportation (Weigh Station), City of Adel and Maintenance (Outside Institution).
- Academic: General Education Diploma, Adult Basic Education, Literacy Remedial, Special Education, Monthly Correspondence Course Work
- Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse Ed., Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous, Residential Substance Abuse Center, Matrix Early Recovery, Matrix Relapse Prevention
- Counseling: Motivation for Change, Re-Entry, Family Violence, Moral Reconation Therapy, Health Awareness, Thinking for a Change, Victim Impact, Lifers Group, Sex Offender Psycho-Educational Program (SOPP), Career Center in Media Center
- Recreation: General Recreation, Intramural Sports
- Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Bible Study, Spiritual Enlightenment, Faith & Character Based Program, KAIROS, Gospel Choir
- Vocational/OJT: Barbering, Custodial Maintenance, Dorm Orderlies, Laundry & Warehouse Orderlies, Food Service, General Office Clerk, Paint Detail
Take I-75S to Exit 18 in Valdosta. Turn right onto Hwy 133. Take the first street on the right; Valdosta State Prison follows the Annex on the left.