- CONSTRUCTED: 1972
- CAPACITY: 900
- OPENED: 1972
- RENOVATED: 1996
VISITATION DAYS / HOURS:
- HOURS: 9:00AM TO 3:00PM
- DAYS: Saturdays, Sundays, and State Holidays
Ensure public safety and effectively house offenders while operating a safe and secure facility by housing medium security and below general population offenders in support of Correctional Industries and outside details.
Consists of six dormitories in the main building, all with 64 beds each. There are eight isolation and eight two-man segregation cells and a fire department with ten beds. This facility also houses a Fire Station and an Egg Producing Plant.
- OPEN DORMITORY
Revenue details are provided for the Department of Transportation, Montgomery County and the City of Mt. Vernon. The prison also operates an extensive poultry and egg producing plant for the Food and Farm Division. A fully operational 10 man fire department.
- Academic: General Education Diploma, Adult Basic Education, Literacy Remedial
- Counseling: Family Violence, Re-Entry Skill Building, Thinking For A Change, Motivation For Change, Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous, Moral Reconation Therapy
- Recreation: General Recreation
- Religious Activities: Worship Services, Choir, Bible Study, Religious Music
- Vocational/OJT: Food Preparation, Barber, Farm Worker, Custodial Maintenance, Grounds Keeper, Laundry Worker, General Office Clerk, Fork Lift Operator, Warehouse, Correctional Industries-Upholstery, Auto Mechanic, Auto Detailing, and Small Engine
DIRECTIONS FROM ATLANTA:
Take I-75S, then I-16 to Exit 67, Hwy 29 South. In Soperton, take Hwy 221 to Mt. Vernon. Continue on Hwy 221. After the Mt Vernon Cemetery, turn left on the first paved road, Mt. Vernon Alston Road and Montgomery State Prison will be 1? mile on the right.